Phil Clouts Quartet
Thursday 19th October 2017 9pm
Once again we are very pleased to welcome back to Number 39 the very popular the Phil Clouts Quartet.
Cape Town-born Clouts' South African roots have inspired a voyage of discovery that has led to Phil soaking up the joyful passion of Caribbean calypso, the soulful strains of the Indian subcontinent, the exuberant sway of Cuban dance music and the tuneful essence of Gospel while honouring jazz heroes including Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, and Charles Lloyd.
Featuring rising star Samuel Eagles on saxophone, bassist Alex Keen and Yamaha Jazz Scholarship-winning drummer Dave Ingamells, Phil brings his musical journey alive with superb musicianship and infectious vigour.
Read what the press has to say about these suburb musicians...
- "Luxurious melodies, woven with subtle influences from Clouts' forays into world music"
- Jazz UK
- "Thoughtful, intricate writing and superb musicianship"
- London Jazz News
- "Eagles' assurance and inventiveness are impressive at any tempo."
- John Fordham, The Guardian
- "Pulsating groove-orientated music.distinctive.spiritual and soul jazz.strongly melodic themes."
- "Combines lightness of touch with a rhythmic sensibility: a winning combination."
- All About Jazz
- "A characteristic mix of strong melodies allied to Clouts' extensive knowledge of global jazz styles. Well written, attractively melodic, stylistically varied and superbly played."
- Ian Mann, (thejazzmann.com)
Contact the Venue
Number 39 Hopstar Brewery Tap
39-41, Bridge Street
Contact the Organiser